As we enter our 7th week of social distancing, and the U.S. almost reaches 1 million coronavirus cases, health experts worry that many states are rushing to loosen guidelines, and confirmed 6 coronavirus symptoms in patients (instead of just 3). This week’s “5 Essential Updates” includes important safety guidance to counter Trump’s outrageous suggestions.
1. Re-opening too soon — Despite rising cases of coronavirus and warnings from experts, Georgia re-opened segments of their economy on April 27, and more states are expected to open businesses, restaurants and public beaches this week. Premature openings will hurt Latinos, who are disproportionately impacted and more economically vulnerable. In New York City, for example, Mexican nationals are dying without proper burials.
2. Trump To Close Borders — As part of the anti-immigration agenda, Trump heightened border restrictions, a move that will prevent asylum seekers coming from Mexico and Central American on the southern border to seek refuge in the United States. Immigration rights activists say he’s exploiting our current situation “to advance his racism and xenophobia,” and diverting attention from his mishandling of the pandemic.
3. Remittances Drop — As unemployment rises across the country and the economy plummets, so does the suffering for our extended families in Latin America. Money sent to Latinos’ home countries accounts for up to 30% of the Gross Domestic Product. Now, global remittances are expected to drop 20% across Latin America and the Caribbean, in “the sharpest decline in recent history.” In towns like Joyabaj, Guatemala, where half the residents depend on remittances, the consequences could be life-threatening.
4. Solidarity, not charity — ‘Mutual aid’ is the idea that we’re in this together, not dependent on top-down help. MutualAidDisasterRelief.org has compiled a list of resources where we can support each other with dignity. This includes free herbal clinic guides, emergency resources for refugees, and a steps to support prisoners.
5. Trump’s dangerous suggestions — Last week, Trump suggested ingesting bleach could fight COVID-19, which is deadly. To counter the wave of misinformation, visit the World Health Organization and the CDC for tips to stay healthy. And, practice preventative care: rest 😴 drink plenty of fluids 🚰 and eat healthy food 🥙
Also, self-isolate and consult local medical authorities if you have:
- repeated shaking
- muscle pain
- sore throat, and
- new loss of taste or smell.