Position: Digital Editor (Full Time, Remote)
Reports to: Josefina Casati, Editorial Director
Direct Reports: N/A
Location: Full-time, 100% remote position (from home or co-working space) with occasional travel once every 2-3 months
Pulso is a Latinx-led social enterprise dedicated to raising up and keeping the pulse on nuestra gente. We build deep digital relationships with Latinx folks through their phones in order to transform civic engagement and build political power.
Pulso attracts and engages Latinx folks through our innovative Latinx history and news service, which is based on Facebook Messenger. With this daily relationship and by telling the stories that have shaped our community, Pulso connects U.S.-based Latinos/as/x with our history and encourages subscribers to take action on critical issues, register to vote, and to cast their votes on Election Day.
To see the digitally-based service we’re building, search for “Project Pulso” in the Facebook Messenger app. You can also learn more about our work at https://projectpulso.org/.
Pulso is a project of Accelerate Change (AC), a nonprofit media lab dedicated to catalyzing new scalable and sustainable digital media models for citizen engagement. See “The Secret of Scale” for more on AC’s model for scalable citizen organizing read and see “The Promise of Lean Experimentation” for AC’s approach to experimentation using Lean Startup methodologies and other business strategies, both from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
About the Position
We’re looking for an experienced digital media editor to support Pulso’s content work. As Digital Editor, you’ll play a critical role in ensuring Pulso’s stories and other content is optimized, consistent, and error-free. This role would be a fit for someone who loves serving as an editor for digital content, but equally enjoys testing and optimizing key components of content, such as images and headlines. We are especially interested in solutions-oriented candidates who are comfortable working in a fast-paced start-up environment as we rapidly scale both our reach and our team.
As Pulso’sDigital Editor, here’s what you’ll do:
- Proofread, fact check, and ensure consistent Pulso voice for stories
- Generate and test a large volume of headlines, captions, and images for stories
- Repackage stories and other content for use on different digital media platforms
- Assist the Editorial Director with developing content schedules and communicating priorities and deadlines to writers
- As needed, research and write stories and news articles for our social channels
- Provide coaching and feedback to writers
- Aggregate relevant content and review industry trends and updates
- Take on other responsibilities to support Pulso’s content work
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for someone who (required):
- Has 2+ years of experience with copy editing and writing digital content
- Has experience A/B testing headlines, images, and other components of social media content
- Has basic design skills (e.g. Canva, Photoshop)
- Is obsessed with error-free work
- Is committed to advancing progressive social change
- Understands the interests of and issues facing the U.S.-based Latinx community
We prefer someone who:
- Understands the importance of social media copy and can adapt to many different social voices
- Has experience writing for social media and/or creating social media content
- Thrives in a fast-paced, unstructured digital environment
- Is eager to learn, iterate, pivot, and experiment along with the rest of the team
- Is a team-player, and comfortable working remotely
- Has a sense of humor!
- $50,000-$60,000 salary range, depending on experience
- Flexible work hours
- Health care after 3 months, with individual premiums fully covered and cost-share for dependents
- Need-based educational loan assistance after 3 months
- 10 paid vacation days, 6 paid holidays, and 3 paid floating holidays each year
- 5 fully paid sick days and 10 half-paid sick days each year
- 401(k) plan after one year, with 100% employer match on the first 3% and 50% employer match on the next 2%
To apply, please upload your resume and tell us more about your experience using this application form: http://bit.ly/2vI20a7.
Pulso is incubated by Accelerate Change; Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities, or who are members of other marginalized communities